Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cliffud
    • May 2020

A solution for inner tire wear and shudder for the Model X - N2itive

From the factory, Tesla Model S and Model X (mainly Model X) cars come with two major design flaws that cause a front end shudder or vibration and shortened rear tire life.

Design Flaw 1
    Noticed under hard acceleration and presents itself as a shudder, vibration or sometimes extreme shaking coming from the front of the vehicle. This shudder occurs because of internal damage to the front half-shafts. The damage happens because the the motor sits higher than the wheels hubs so the halfshaft operates at an angle between the wheel and motor. The only solution from Tesla’s Service Centers is to put the car’s suspension in “Low”.

The service center will replace the front half-shafts under warranty but if you're out of warranty, it can be quite expensive so I highly recommend X owners to get the camber/toe arm modification so they can fully enjoy the acceleration and long life of their rear tires.

Design Flaw 2
    The solution of putting the car's suspension in "Low" exacerbates the second design flaw where the rear wheels tilt too far inward. The Tesla Model S and X are already known to wear out the rear tires on the inside edge due to excessive negative camber, or wheels tilting inwards. Lowering the suspension setting makes the wheels tilt in even further! This causes more the weight of the car to rest on the inner shoulder of the wheel. Driving this way quickly wears down the inside edge of the rear tires which can cause a sudden and unexpected dangerous blowout.

To solve this, I added the n2itive camber / toe arm kit and here are a few pictures of the installation. The result is I am finally able to go full throttle without shudder and maintain even tire wear for the rear tires.

You'll need the following service manual instructions:

Link - Suspension - Rear - Upper - LH
    http://www.fixyourtesla.com/x/Link-S...d-Replace.html

Toe Link Assembly - Rear - LH
    http://www.fixyourtesla.com/x/Toe-Li...d-Replace.html

Product link
    www.n2itive.me

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 2.30.20 PM.png Views:	21 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	201
    Click image for larger version  Name:	camber2 copy.jpg Views:	12 Size:	3.58 MB ID:	203

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 2.31.00 PM.png Views:	13 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	202
    Performed by the local non-Tesla technician in Phoenix, Arizona - Dima.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8480 3 copy.jpg Views:	13 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	204

The n2itive camber and toe kit is definitely top notch and provides a whole slew of minor adjustments, if necessary. I highly recommend them!

Finally, below is a service invoice for new halfshafts and why you want to run your suspension in Low and get this camber/toe arm kit.

Once you're out of warranty, it will cost $2,000+ to replace your halfshafts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_104.png
Views:	2024
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	207
    Last edited by Cliffud; 10-29-2021, 06:58 AM.
Working...